Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have an ache in my right hip, and between my legs on the

I have an ache in my right hip, and between my legs on the same side. It also sometimes appears on my thigh and sometimes lower leg. The ache is worse after sleeping at night for a few hours. What could this be ?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
There are a couple of possibilities that I would like to consider and rule out:
1. Degenerative disease of the lower spine --> this leads to bulging discs in the lower spine pressing on nerves that go to the legs. Pinched nerves can cause the pain that you are experiencing. The diagnostic test for this problem would be MRI of the lower spine. X-rays of the lower spine are not very good. MRI would give a very clear picture of the lower spine and whether there is any nerve being pinched by a bulging disc pressing on a nerve.
2. Arthritis of the hip joint --> this can cause pain in the hip joint and this pain can also affect or radiate to other parts of the leg i.e. it may not be very localized to the hip only.
So I would recommend that you be seen and be evaluated to rule out/rule in these conditions.
Meanwhile, for the pain you can try taking over-the-counter pain medications like ibuprofen or naproxen or even paracetamol.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the stars.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is an ache I have experienced in the past, so maybe I will treat ibuprofen for now and visit GP I the coming weeks. What do you think ?