Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I've been experiencing a lot of hair loss over the last

Customer Question

Hi. I've been experiencing a lot of hair loss over the last 6 weeks. I have not noticed any bald spots as of yet but my hair is noticeably thin all over. It's starting to affect me psychologically and I can barely stay awake most days. I have experienced this 2 years ago but not to this extent. 2 years ago I was tested for low thyroid, iron and ferritin levels but they all came back within normal range. I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago, on and off I've not been able to stomach many foods. The last 6 weeks I haven't been able to stomach any meals, could this be contributing to my hair loss? I'm 23 and female.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
do you have a pic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Being completely honest I'm terrified of taking any photos as I don't know the extent of it other than watching it fall out each day. My anxiety levels are already sky high so if possible could you please advise without photos involved?
any super stressful events in the past 6 months?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing stressful as such. All I can think of is that I did have a minor operation (colonoscopy) in which sedatives were used, no anaesthetic around 3/4 months ago.
sometimes anxiety can do it.any family history of female hair loss?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My anxiety has only really been a problem since I noticed my hair getting thinner, it's very distressing. No history of female hair loss on either sides of the family.
I would get it checked again in person. Full labs, vitamin levels, thyroid, etc. You also need to make sure that you see a dermatologist.You might have autoimmune hair loss and a biopsy may be needed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I go about seeing a dermatologist? My GP is very sceptical about referring me for anything other than bloods and I don't have a steady enough income to be able to pay privately. Also how long would it take to be referred? I've heard that it can take several months and I'm terrified that I'll have no hair left by then.
you can ask your GP what the treatment is and if he/she has no clue then ask for a referral