Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I am a teacher. Yesterday a pupil in my class had a heavy nosebleed.

I am a teacher. Yesterday a pupil in my class had a heavy nosebleed. when I was attending the child I forgot to put latex gloves on. As I was holding tissue up to his nose, his blood poured all over my hands. I was more concerned with the child and waited with him until his nosebleed stopped before I had a change to wash my hands. Should I be worried? Do I need to get tested for anything?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
HelloI am Dr.Amita and I would be assisting you today.If you did not have any cuts or open wounds on your hands you should not be worried about anything.Blood borne infections like HIV or Hepatitis B do not get transmitted through intact skin.In that case you do not need to get tested for anything.Moreover the incidence of these diseases in children is very low and proportionate risk of exposure also decreases even if an open wound was present.This is an initial answer,please ask if you need any clarifications.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The child is 7 years old. The parent never contacted the school regarding any medical issues he may have. The only cuts I had on my hand were little nicks I have around the cuticles of my fingers

Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
These little nicks are usually confined to the upper layer of skin and would not allow transmission to deeper tissue.Therefore you should be safe.