Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a pain in my head, not a headache but a sharp pain,

I have a pain in my head, not a headache but a sharp pain, it comes and goes and has been going on for the last couple of weeks it is.pain in my head not headache but a severe pain. this morning it woke me up suddenly at 7 am
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Where in the head is this pain located? Front? Back? Right or left side?
Have you noticed anything that exacerbates or eases the pain?
Are you having any associated symptoms?
What is the problem for which you are taking the gabapentin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
top and back of head, almost into neck, it hurts to look upwards. I adoctorm not sure about the gaberpentin it is prescribed by
It look like the sentence was cut short.
Who prescribed the gabapentin?
What symptoms were you having when the gabapentin was prescribed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my family doctor and I am not sure what it was for
Thank you for the additional information.
A sharp pain in the top and back of the head, almost into the neck, is most worrisome for nerve pain. The nerves that serve the top and back of the head arise in the neck. The most common cause of nerve pain affecting the neck and head is from degenerative changes in the spine of the neck.
I ask about the gabapentin because it is one of the most common medicines that is used for nerve pain, including nerve pain from a wide variety of underlying causes. If you had nerve pain previously in another location, then that would increase the likelihood that you are having nerve pain again causing this pain.
Ultimately, the proof that nerve pain is causing your symptoms would require a proper evaluation. If it is nerve pain and the current dose of gabapentin is not effective, then your doctor may choose to increase the dose until the maximum dose is reached. Alternatively, there are several other medicines that can also be tried, such as duloxetine.
Over the counter oral pain medicines are usually not helpful with this type of pain, and since the paracetamol with codeine is not helping, there is not much reason to think that over the counter medicines may help. Using a cream with capsaicin/capsicum may help somewhat with nerve pain, but it is difficult to apply on the head because of hair and the onset of action is gradual over several weeks, so is not as good an option in this situation, although if you are bald, it may be an option. Topical lidocaine also may be an option, and works more quickly, but also may be difficult to apply to scalp if hair is present.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.