Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a delicate issue... I was told I was born by

Hello I have a delicate issue... I was told I was born by incest as a child and I'm not sure whether to believe this. I want a parentage dna test done privately and I've seen one where they test the length of each of the two allele at 16 loci during a parentage dna test and the report consists of a number for each allele at each locus representing the length. Obviously if many were of equal length that would mean that I'm born of incest. But what if each pair consists of alleles of different lengths? Would it be possible for the alleles in the 16 loci used in the parentage dna test to be different AND I still be born from incest?? I'd like to know if this test would be conclusive for what I want it for please??
Could you help me please??
Henry
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. You're correct that if the allele pairs were of different lengths then that would show you weren't the product of incest. The test itself is 99.9% accurate if the alleles are all of the same length. And if the pairs at the 16 locus were of different lengths that would disprove you're being the product of incestLet me know if you need more information please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay thank you, ***** ***** do I know that the 16 loci that they test cover enough of my genome?? Aren't there millions of loci in one person's genome? Would 16 loci used in a parentage dna test be sufficient to give me a conclusive answer for whether I'm born by incest??

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
The 16 loci testing is standard and again it's 99.9% accurate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But if there are millions of loci how do I know the sixteen used in the parentage dna test will mean I'm not born of incest just because they're not matching?? Couldn't many of the loci not tested be matching and I just wouldn't know?? I've read that people born of incest have only up to a quarter of their genome having matching alleles.

Also if they're only testing 16 loci would that mean that I could be born of incest if only four pairs of allele match (four being a quarter of sixteen??

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Henry--you're blowing this way out of proportion.
The 16 loci looked at are all that's needed--if none of those match then none of the other loci would match.

And if 4 pairs matched that would be 99.9% conclusive

But at this point, instead of try to guess at what the results of the test might be, you just need to get ahead and get the test
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you! That's all I wanted to know. I'm waiting for them to call me back right now and I will order the test.

Thank you very much

Henry