Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

My mother suffered from a type of blood cancer. she had three

my mother suffered from a type of blood cancer. she had three relapses, but now seems to be doing better. She is focusing on diet. she became vegan, and avoids processed foods(ie white flour and refined sugar) Some advised her for alkaline diet, some macrobiotic. there is some confusion as she gets contrasting opinions like some say she can eat tomatoes and citrus, some say no. Should she stick to one specific diet, how to get guidelines? Some times it seems that to only eat 'clean healthy' foods, she is left having salads (with nuts, seeds, dried fruits...) and not much more. now she has a small herpes next to her mouth, and I wonder if she is getting enough nourishment. {i have a eating disorder, so I take 'Nourishment drinks and fortifyrd cereals, but I can't find any for her. If they are sugar free, they are not fortifyed} THANKYOU
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 2 years ago.

Hi there, Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Hoellering and pleased to help you. It's a fact that no diet at all has any measurable effect on blood cancer at all. Of course, it is good for any person to avoid processed food, but even that isn't proved to have a healing influence on cancer. This is the reason why there aren't any guidelines. Cancer patients need proteins in the first place, because cancer is a consuming condition. But neither alkalic nor vegane food betters their issue, on the contrary. She is likely to run into a deficiency of minerals and vitamins. So she should eat fresh and healthy, better vegetarian than vegan, because that makes it easier to get everything she needs. Neither alkaline nor macrobiotic bit any other diet should be combined with healthy vegetarian food. Nuts are very useful supplying minerals. I wish her a soon and complete recovery!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was having trouble finding this page. My mother went vegan because she was told that all anomal derivatives help the tumor

This has no scientific background at all!