Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My wife has woken up during the night, not feeling her legs.

Customer Question

My wife has woken up during the night, not feeling her legs. She was covered up, but the bed was also cold. This has happened twice during the last week. she woke up and moved and massaged her legs. This, in time, returned some heat to her lower part of the body.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for contacting Justanswer. These may very well be due to Raynaud's disease which she is suffering from. This may cause numbness in the toes and extremities and may take up to 15 minutes after warming up for normal blood flow to return to the area. Please consult your doctor who can prescribe medications which will improve circulation. During such an attack besides warming and massaging the legs, running warm but not hot water over the toes and feet will be helpful. Also you need to consult her doctor who will rule out transient ischemic attack which may cause numbness in the leg and present similarly. Take care.