Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have severe pain in left side and area around ovaries. It

Customer Question

I have severe pain in left side and area around ovaries. It can be very sharp and last for hours. Have had it constantly now since July and not improving much. Have had numerous types of scans and ultra sounds. A cyst on the ovary did show on one scan but not on others. Doctor did not want to do a laprascopy. I have had cysts removed from left ovary in the past.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Have you had a colonoscopy and why exactly was a laparoscopy deferred?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not have a colonscopy as the doctor did not feel it necessary. (I did have one approx 2 years ago and no problem then.)The gynae doctor felt it was not necessary to do the laparascopy as she could not see the cyst when she did the internal exam using the scope, can't remember exact name of this scan. She said she did not want to put me through this when I was and am having continous treatments for my back. It was my back doctor who referred me to the gynae. Can the thermal ablation be a factor here? If I sit for long periods it does not help or ease it and pain only on left side.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--where exactly is the pain located?
And what did you have thermally ablated?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pain on left side from area where ovaries are up as far as waist area, and pain is usually more severe in lower abdomen area. I had thermal endometrial ablation done due to very heavy periods, approx 3 years ago
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. There are two possibilities here--
One would be abdominal adhesions from the ablation with a kinking of your intestines.
The other would be a disk problem in your lumbar spine with radiation of pain from a compressed nerve root into your abdomen and pelvis.
If you haven't had an abdominal/pelvic ct scan with contrast to look for the adhesions and an MRI of your lumbar spine to look for the disk problem those would be the two studies I would order and you should ask your doctor about that
Let me know if you need any more information please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a protruding disc in lower back, with it hitting on a nerve causing pain down to my toes. That is why I am currently getting treatment on that and have been referred to a neuro surgeon for possible surgery to remove maybe bone fragments or pare the bone down, not sure on this last bit yet.I have had an MRI which showed above.
I had that abdominal/pelvic ct scan with contrast but no mention of adhesions just the cyst which showed up only on the ct scan. Would the ct scan that was done not have showed up any adhesions or kinking of intestines? I was admitted to hospital in mid August this year for over a week for all these scans etc
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It's possible that the ct didn't show adhesions so in that case it would take an exploratory laparoscopy to determine that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If adhesions are there how can they be removed? If surgically by laproscopy, then is this not putting me at more risk of further scar tissue damage for further removal, it seems like a vicious circle.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Good question. It may be only one adhesion and, yes, it can be lysed--severed--laparoscopically. One would only lyse the offending adhesion
But at this point I think at least an exploratory laparoscopy is in order for your problem
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I must commend you Dr, as you have given me more possible answers than I have been able to get so far. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My plessure but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you