Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been told my ggt is 155. I probably exceed reccommended

Customer Question

I have been told my ggt is 155. I probably exceed reccommended safe levels of alcohol (1 large glass most week nights and 2-3 at weekends). I have been told to cut back. I would like your advice. Is it ok to stay within safe limits? I.e 14u per week. I take phenergan and northisterone. Could they be affecting my liver? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Whether a lower amount of alcohol would be OK will depend upon the individual. For the vast majority of people, keeping alcohol intake under the recommended limit will be well tolerated and will not cause any abnormal liver blood tests. However, there are some people that are more sensitive to alcohol intake, and these people may develop abnormal liver blood tests at lower amounts of alcohol intake. There is no way to know whether someone is more sensitive except by seeing if the abnormal blood tests persist at lower levels of alcohol intake.
It is also possible to get liver enzyme elevation from the medicines that you are taking, but it is exceedingly more likely that it is due to the alcohol.
At this point, the usual recommendation would be to limit alcohol to one unit per day for a while to see whether the GGT improves.
If I can provide some further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Thank you for your feedback. My gp dod not think my liver was enlarged but I have to go for a scan. I am committed to cutting down alcohol intake and will stay within your recommendations. When would you expect a drop in ggt? It would be good to know the reduction in alcohol is having a positive effect on liver enzymes. Do you think my liver will repair itself with my actions? Thanks
Yes, at this stage the liver will typically repair itself. It usually is only with several years of liver disease from alcohol intake that it will get to a stage that will not heal.
It may take as much as a month or two for the blood tests to completely return to normal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My gp has told me to go back in 3 months for repeat ggt. Do you think I could ask if I could have a check in maybe 6 weeks?
You can, but rechecking it in three months is common so that it is certain to be past the 1-2 months that it may take to completely resolve.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Dr Love. I feel reassured and motivated to keep the levels down
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr Love. Sorry to bother you again. I meant to ask you if it is ok that I am substituting my wine for alcohol free sparkling wine from the alcohol free shop. As far as I am aware it contains minute amounts of alcohol. It tastes like Cava and is helping me to cut back significantly. Thanks
Yes, it would be OK to be drinking alcohol-free sparkling wine. Even several glasses would only contain an insignificant amount of alcohol.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks very much
You are very welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Very quick question. Although no enlarged liver I have to go for ultrasound scan. Gp did not mention what other causes of raised GGT are. Please could you outline them for me then I will stop asking questions. It was a shock.GGT was 27 in 201. I would never have seen myself as being ETOH but that is what I am. Thanks
There are many possible causes of an increase in liver enzymes, and a side effect to alcohol is certainly very common. Other causes include other substances that can irritate the liver, with the other common substance being paracetamol, fatty infiltration of the liver, various infections, and certain metabolic conditions that can affect the liver, such as iron deposition in the liver.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks. That is helpful. Will see what the scan shows.
Welcome.