Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm a 27 yr old bloke and have had on off acid reflux

Customer Question

I'm a 27 yr old bloke and have had on off acid reflux for the last two years. It goes away the more running I do then come back when I go through an in active patch for a few months. With work demanding more I have been more inactive for the last four months and found that the gel fix has been getting worse and worse
For the last three weeks. 3 days ago I started getting a sharp pain in my stomach when I swallowed something, the next day this had got slightly worse and was now being no accompanied by a dull throb from my stomach that persisted for 20 minutes or so. I get indigestion occasionally and this does not feel like that as it is slightly lower and a different sort of pain- hard to explain. Yesterday the pain got to the stage that it was there as often as not and went away just after eating for a few hours. This morning I suddenly woke up by the urge to vomit but didn't happen and the pain is unchanged from the previous day.
Gaviscon and ranitidine do not seem to have any effect on the pain yesterday and I have not any today. I was wdon't meeting if anyone could give advise on what this is and the next steps to manage it etc.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
There are several possibilities to consider in this situation.
It is still possible that this is a more severe case of acid reflux than you have previously experienced. If so, then using a stronger medicine may be more effective, such as Nexium or Prilosec.
It is also possible that this pain is related to spasm of the muscle layer that is occurring secondary to the acid reflux. The medicines that are best for this are only available by prescription, however, the over the counter Benadryl/diphenhydramine may be able to help ease the pain if this is the cause.
It is also possible that there could be a cause of pain that is unrelated to the pre-existent acid reflux, such as pancreatitis or gallbladder disease. It is more likely that this is related to the known condition, so it would be appropriate to address the first two possibilities first.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.