Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Dr I'm so sorry to bother you again but I'm really worried. I'm

Customer Question

Hi Dr
I'm so sorry to bother you again but I'm really worried.
I'm waiting for my CBT and exposure therapy for a fear of electricity and electrical appliances.
Im worried that I'm not going to be able to get any help because the fear is so vast. If I have to desensitise my brain to each appliance one by one this will take forever??
I have no idea where the therapist is going to start with this. Will I have to expose to the TV and then move on to fridge freezer etc I'm so worried
Any reassurance would be most appreciated
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Since your fear is a general fear of all electrical appliances, it is the overall fear that can be addressed in CBT. It is generally not necessary to address each appliance separately. Therefore, there is no reason to fear that it will take an undue length of time to address these fears.

It is also important to note that CBT has a very high success rate for this type of problem, so it will typically be able to provide you the help that you need.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.