Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My husband has a mole on his back. It is bumpy and 2 shades

My husband has a mole on his back. It is bumpy and 2 shades of brown. Is this cause for concern?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Could you attach a picture of the mole?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is it
Thank you for the picture. The variation in color and texture is slightly concerning, but it is not something that is definitely bad. At this stage, it is appropriate that the referral is made, but it is not something that should be a significant concern.
We do not wait until a mole is definitely cancer, because many of the cancers have already started to spread by that point. Instead, we try to identify moles that have warning signs, such as variation in color. Most moles with warning signs will ultimately be found to not be cancer, but the cancers that we do find by this approach are earlier in the disease process and are much less likely to have started to spread.
In looking at the picture, this definitely is in the category of having a warning sign, but not definitely bad. So, it is appropriate to undergo the referral and evaluation, but it is not something over which you should be significantly concerned.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help and for taking the time to put my mind at ease.
You are most welcome.
Please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.