Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My mum is 75 and a mass has been found on her ovaries. She

Customer Question

My mum is 75 and a mass has been found on her ovaries. She has had Mri scan, ultrasound, ct and x rays. Doctors have sent her home after 7 days of tests . She is telling her family that she still doesn't know what the mass is, is this possible? I think there is something wrong and she won't tell the family. She has been scheduled to see a specialist to discuss what they are going to do with her. I am sure she didn't get sent home not knowing what the mass is. I am very concerned .
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Your concern is justified. With all these investigations her doctor would have come to a diagnosis and should have informed her. You may call her doctor and ask for the diagnosis and for the results of the investigation. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer, it was very helpful. All I want to know is? Am I allowed to question her doctor due to patient confidentiality?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As a professional do you think she is trying to protect her family by not telling them? I think she is. If it had been something simple like a cyst, she wouldn't have any reason not to tell them. That's my opinion.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes you can take your mother along with you to visit her doctor and with her permission the doctor will discuss the diagnosis and its implications with you.
Regarding whether she is protecting the family or not, you know her better. May be she is or may be she is also waiting for the consultation with the specialist to know the cause for the mass.
Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all your information.one more question, My mum has an appointment on the 27th of this month to have doctors discuss what will be happening with her. Do the doctors know what's wrong? I think they must know for them to arrange this meeting. I know it's not a cyst she has.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes I feel her doctors have come to a definite diagnosis and want to have a meeting where they will discuss the various treatment options with her. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. I am so worried and you have kind of put my mind at rest sort of. Will let you know what the diagnosis is on the 27th.....
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, You are welcome. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just phoned my mum, and the doctor has phoned her early, he wants her back in hospital tomorrow for a biopsy. I think something is seriously wrong.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Sometimes there might be a suspected lesion which is seen on radiologic studies and to know exactly the cause for the lesion and whether it is benign or not a biopsy may be done. Hence this may be the reason for the biopsy. It may still be a benign lesion. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would a lision cause so much swelling and pain?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes even benign cysts may cause large swelling and pain. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Ravoof, My mum has been to the hospital today as your aware of, the doctor told her that it might be cancer. Now I am confused because they want her back in on Monday to do a laparoscopy, if they have told her they think it's cancer, why the need to do this?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. There are many reasons for her doctor to do a laparoscopy and you may need to ask him the indication for this invasive procedure. Sometimes it is done as a staging procedure to know how advanced the disease is and to evaluate the cancer, and sometimes it is done when a patient is in poor health or if the disease is far advanced, Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My mum had her laparoscopy today, doctor said there is a mass, it is cancer, the mass is conjoined to her bladder and her bowel from the ovary. Her next step is chemotherapy. I know she is having it to shrink the mass , but will they manage to operate if everything is conjoined ?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Surgical intervention is unlikely. However please take the opinion of a surgical oncologist. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, as your aware my mum has been diagnosed with ovarian cancer. The past 3 nights she has wet her bed. Is this a sign of something sinister? I think she needs to see a doctor regarding this? What is your opinion. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. An new onset urinary incontinence must be evaluated by her doctor. This may or may not be a sign of complication from the cancer, however if this is due to a treatable cause such as urinary tract infection getting the treatment is a must. Get a urine examination done. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just want to know why they haven't started my mum on chemotherapy, and have sent her home. To me this is golden time wasted. I thought as specialists that they would have dealt with this sooner rather than later. In your honest opinion do you think it is to late to do anything for her? I am no expert in this field but I do know that anyone with this disease gets help sooner rather than later as time is of the essence. In my opinion she is not getting dealt with as quick as I think she should be.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Yes, I think that they need to start treatment as soon as possible. She should consult an oncologist and take his/her opinion. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** that to. You have been so helpful.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, You are welcome. Take care. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been told by my mum's onocologist that they have discovered cancer in her stomach. Is this life threatening? They still haven't told me what stage her cancer is at yet. I feel they are taking to long to deal with this.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, If this is primary ovarian tumor with metastasis to the stomach, then this is stage 4 and has a poor prognosis. But still they have to tell you their treatment plan. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her doctor told us in the beginning that they thought it was ovarian cancer, now we are being told it is in her gut. They said she has to go for an endoscopy on Monday so they can look down her digestive system. They don't seem to know where the cancer has started from. My family are so confused because she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer on her discharge papers when she got released from hospital. How can they not know ?