DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I started having episodes of blurred vision about 6 years ago

Customer Question

I started having episodes of blurred vision about 6 years ago and have had 10 episodes since, approximately. My right arm started going numb 3 years ago when I was pregnant but I attributed it to pregnancy. I've had several episodes since and now it affects my right thigh as well. My thighs not numb today but yesterday it was. I also keep muscle jumping in various parts of my body, never contained to one set spot, yet it does repeat spots. I have heart palpitations since around April of this year and started recently with dizzy spells when I go from laying to sitting or lay on my back. I'M a phlebotomist and I can still perform my job, button buttons, put pennies in a piggy bank and carry my children. I do seem to feel better at night and feel somewhat better today. My right arm feels weak but has full strength
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes the right side of my face goes numb and top of my head as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have noticed that my face often seems red like I'm overheated but yesterday and today I can't seem to get warm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I completely forge to say: in 2008/9 I found a very tiny tick on my arm. I though it was a piece of glitter it was that small. It hurt to remove and my arm was very sore in that General area for several days after. I dont recall a rash/fever/bulleseye but there was a small knot there like after a vaccination.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been over 24 hours??? No response?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can someone please answer my question
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloYour question was in the neurology category, not medical.If you find me, Dr. Thomas, in medical by request, I will get to you very promptly between 9 am and 9 pm est.This sounds like something in the spectrum of myofascial pain syndrome or fibromyalgia. We do not diagnose on the site, for obvious reasons..that requires an exam and testing.But, a serious problem would not come and go over years, it would progress.A feeling of weakness without actual weakness is very typical of fibromyalgia. Anxiety with somatatization can do this.All of that said, the following should be checked.Thyroid studies, and TSH should be between .3 and 2.5.Vitamin DMagnesium: should be 2.5 or higher.All routine labs.CRP or sed rateANACeliac panelUrinalysis.B vitamin levels. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I was very worried that it may be ALS or MS but you really helped clear my mind. I have been stressing daily over this:(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I am not having any pain, so how would this be in the pain category?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
It was in the neurology category.
It is now in medical.
You can save time anytime by requesting me in medical.
Please click a positive rating.
Come back as needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am wondering if this is a neurological issue. I am not having any pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The numbness comes and goes. Like today I only had numbness in my leg (top of thigh) for a short period and the arm came and went from feelings of weakness to tightness to normal. I did see some floaters today while at work as well. I can balance on one foot, walk backwards down stairs on the ball of my foot, do girl push ups, etc. I am so nervous about what is going on.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I still see it as I stated above.
If you have not had a neurological exam, as I said above, that needs to be done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, this doesn't sound like ALS to you?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
NoNot at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Anytime
Any questions.