Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have little urine output,I did have high

Customer Question

I have little urine output,I did have high blood pressure,and diabetes,which I think I have under control,I think i am drinking enough?I am unable to empty my bladder completely, and have a DIY/catheter,which I use three times a day,I am still getting infections which I have had two sets of antibiotics in over six weeks,I have pain when passing urine,just a small amount of urine,As soon as I go to the loo,Half an hour would pass and I would want to go again,It is worse at night,No sleep,I am not taking diabetic medication of Metformin 500,Which I think could of started my problems?,I am on blood pressure tablets to control hypertension I am sixty four and I am about 76 pounds,Please Help,Mary XXXXX

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

you could have neurogenic bladder with lack of nerve signals to the bladder muscles which can keep it from contracting properly.

diabetes over time can cause neurogenic bladder problems.

you need to consult with a urologist and get a urodynamic study to see if you are able to squeeze your bladder muscles to push out the urine.

you need an after urination ultrasound of the bladder to see how much postvoid residual urine is left in the bladder after you urinate.

an ultrasound or CT scan of your pelvis can look for bladder prolpase into your vaginal canal

you have to see a urology specialist about this

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have had a scan to see how much urine was left after going to the loo,and there was nearly 300mils

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
that is a lot of urine

you have a neurogenic bladder with weakened nerve signal to the bladder.

you need a pelvic CT scan or ultrasound to check for bladder prolapse.

Estrogen may be used by post-menopausal women

electrical bladder stimulatory therapy might be an option to have a bladder stimulator device placed.

you need to control your diabetes with your medication.

you should drink more cranberry juice and water

and continue to use your catheter to help empty your bladder completely 3-4 times a day.

you should work on kegal exercises to help strengthen your pelvic muscles as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am on hormonal replacement with patches,and vaginal hormones,can this help,,

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, this can help somewhat.

but you still need to see a urologist and do kegel exercises and get a pelvic ultrasound or CT scan.