DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I do a lot of walking. I am 66 male. 3 months ago I got a

I do a lot of walking. I am 66 male. 3 months ago I got a problem in my left hip which has troubled me ever since. During the day I only get slight pain. During the night the pain is very severe except when I lie on my back. The pain is so severe when I lie on my left side that it always wakens me up and the pain shoots down my left leg. I now have poor sleep which affects me during the day. I have always been a good sleeper.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure what your question is about this.
We answer questions on the site.
Let me know what you are asking.
Hip pain that acts like this can be referred pain from the lower spine...disc problems typically.
Arthritis in the hip can be diagnosed with x ray.
The lower spine needs exam, and often MRI to see what is going on.
Talk to your GP about these.
Please click a positive rating.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had a bad fall onto my lower spine March 2014. I had sciatic nerve pains in left side which eventually went away after regular exercise. I now have an inherent weakness in my back when lifting things. The suggestion of referred hip pain would fit into the picture and I will ask my GP to examine the lower back area.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
very good
Please click a positive rating
Without it I am not paid by just answer for my expertise