Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

If I have sciatica and my chair at work is making it feel

Hi if I have sciatica and my chair at work is making it feel uncomfortable, what's my best option for my specific back Bain, I know there are cushions and chairs available, what is best? Do they help, or would you recommend something else like walking round every x min/hours?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
HelloThanks for your question which is an important one as wrong posture is one of the main culprits behind lower back pain.I will tell you some basic things and you can apply the knowledge while selecting a chair for yourself. Your chair should have following qualities.It should have good underthigh support and the sitting edge should preferably be round.The sitting surface should have an angle parallel to ground or just a little bit divergence from ground so that the thigh - body angle is 90 degrees or less.The back support of chair should have a curve such that it fully supports the curve of our lower back when you are sitting with your hips touching the back of chair ( which you should).You may also use a foot rest to decrease the thigh body angle.You also need to take frequent breaks from sitting and stretch your back say every 20 minutes or so.This is the initial answer.Please reply if you need any clarifications.