Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I am a male aged 66, short while now my urine has

Customer Question

I am a male aged 66, for a short while now my urine has become smelly, usually it is just a very strong urine smell but at other times it smells fishy.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question. Basically the odor of urine is related to the volume and concentration of a variety of substances excreted by the kidneys. Normally, urine containing a lot of water has little to no odor. However if urine becomes highly concentrated, that is a high level of waste products with little water, the urine odor may have a strong smell. This can be due to many causes and your doctor needs to do a few investigations such as urine routine test as well as fasting blood glucose as the initial tests to find out the cause. However even dehydration may cause this strong smell. But infection as well as diabetes need to investigated for as well. Most changes in urine odor are temporary, resolving in a few days and don't indicate serious illness. But sometimes this unusual urine odor may be associated with an underlying medical condition which needs to be diagnosed. Then with the treatment of the cause for this strong urine smell, this symptom will also resolve. Take care.