Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have been ill with severe sore throat days now and

Customer Question

I have been ill with severe sore throat for 7 days now and although fever now gone - it did peak at 104 degrees and was over 100 for 4 days the pain in throat just as bad. It is worse on one side than other. I do not have tonsils. At one point could hardly swallow water. I have not eaten and have lost 3.6 kilos. Why does throat not improve in anyway at all? I am on course of antibiotics - on day 5 of taking them but other than fever gone no improvement. I am bed bound and housebound through weakness and live alone. Doctors won't do house calls anymore
Also 3 weeks ago had another virus that was migraine type headache, diarrhoea and stomach pains. This was followed by Pityrisisis Rosaca
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
I am sorry you are still having sore throat.
some throat infections can be viral and may not respond to antibiotic therapy.
some throat infections can be from bacteria which can be resistant to certain antibiotic.
what antibiotic are you on?
you need to go back to see your doctor and get a throat culture to see what bacteria is growing in your throat if there are any antibiotic resistant bacteria
if you have acid reflux of stomach acid coming up from your stomach up to your throat at night time, this can also worsen sore throat and make it take longer for you to heal.
if you have a viral throat infection, you might benefit from an antiviral treatment like acyclovir or valcyclovir.
if you have a fungal throat infection like thrush or candida pharyngitis, you would need an antifungal agent like diflucan or fluconizole or nystatin to fight a fungal throat infection.
a throat culture and a direct nasolaryngoscopy can look for evidence of fungal or viral throat infection.
I would recommend you going back to see your doctor again to get these tests
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you. I would like to speak on phone. 07796 176457
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
thanks for accepting additional services.
what is your country code?