Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

Again, this is from my last question, a quick

Hi again, this is a follow up from my last question, a quick recap on my situation - I am currently in India and on Monday was admitted to hospital to have a bartholins absess drained - I was administered an epidural and the operation lasted for 30 - 40
minuets. I was given the green light to check out of the hospital the next day and was told by the doctor that I was safe to fly back to my country to heal and seek further care. I subsequently booked a first class (so that I can go the journey in comfort
and laying down) flight for this coming Monday (a week after the operation). I have now developed a severe headache that affects me most when I sit or stand up - and I have relief from when I lay down. I believe this to be a post dural puncture headache, and
am going back to the hospital to have this confirmed today. I have been very disappointed with my hospital and doctor care here, it has all been quite traumatic and do not want to stay in India - I very much want to go back to the UK. But now with this PDPC
I no longer know if it is safe to fly on Monday? Please advise me.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
HelloDr David is not online and as your question has went unanswered for so long I would be assisting you.This does sound like a post dural puncture headache.It would not be safe to fly until you have no headache even on upright position.There are pressure changes while flying and difference between extradural and intradural pressure can induce leakage of CSF.There are recommendations otherwise as well to avoid flying for at least 7 days after spinal anesthesia because of increased risk of post spinal headache.There has been a case report of patient developing severe headache on flying 36 hours after dural puncture.This person did not had any headache before flying and headache was flying induced which improved after arriving at destination.