Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am 30 years old, female and I have mild/moderate

Customer Question

Hello, I am 30 years old, female and I have mild/moderate acne with significant hyperpigmentation. My mother and her mother both had acne and they were more severe. What can I do to treat my acne as I really want clear skin? I have a lot of comedones and
blackheads and I get pimples. I am terrible as I pick my spots, hence I have hyperpigmentation. I am Afro-Caribbean. I am on medication for mental health: I take 9mg of haloperidol (4mg mane 5mg nocte) I have tried Proactiv and Duac but they made my skin worse.
What can I do to treat genetic acne? Can a Dermatologist take a swab of my skin to see which treatment is effective? Thanking you in advance.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a pic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the late reply. I have added photos. I have blackheads, small comedones and lots of hyper-pigmentation. Please let me know if you want better photos.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I took pictures with a flash. I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also tried doxycycline from my GP for 8 weeks but that didn't work.
I would try retin A or clindamycin gel or boththey work together. Shouldn't be tough to treat. Your acne is mild
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Dr Phil,My apologies for the late reply.Thank you. I will suggest this to my dermatologist. I am seeing them next month.