Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My sister is at a complete loss. She fell over about a year

My sister is at a complete loss. She fell over about a year ago and hit her knee. Ever since, her leg swells by about a third all over. She's in pain due to the swelling and the skin becomes very warm.
Lucy has had an X-ray, tests for blood clots, blood tests for various things of which all have come back clear.
The last doctor suggested that she was now wasting everyone's times and that the condition is in her head. Lucy is incredibly depressed as doesn't know who to turn to now and is very conscious that one leg is considerably larger than the other.
Any ideas would be welcomed....
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

I am sorry about your sister.

she should get a 3 tesla high definition MRI scan of the knee to see where there is inflammation or trauma to the knee.

an xray doesn't see soft tissue and can't see the knee very well.

she is having these symptoms.

she is not wasting time.

she needs to be checked for gout and rheumatoid arthritis as well which can inflame the knee.

swelling can be caused by lymphedema damage to lymphatic channels in the leg which can cause swelling.

she should get a dopper ultrasound of the leg to check for proper blood flow into the leg.

so there are many tests she still needs to get

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your response.
She has had an MRI scan and that came back clear too. But the scan you've suggested, is that different to a regular MRI??
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
a 3 tesla MRI scanner is higher magnet strength and higher resolution image than a regular 1.5 tesla MRI scan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great.
Many thanks for your help and insight.