Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I think I have phelebitis in my lower left leg not paining

I think I have phelebitis in my lower left leg not paining badily, i have diabetes controled by drugs, can I treat it and how?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. If the leg is swollen then this could be a deep venous thrombosis--a clot in a deep leg vein--and that is a very dangerous situation since untreated it can lead to a pulmonary embolus. If it's a superficial phlebitis--a visible clot in a superficial let vein--that can be treated with heat or topical capsaicin cream, elevation, and ibuprofen But I have to be ethical with you here and say that either way you should have a doctor look at this right away Let me know if you need more information please