Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

3 weeks ago I realised that my left calf is getting very

Hi. 3 weeks ago I realised that my left calf is getting very swollen up to the point where is nearly 2 times it's normal size and feels little bit numb when this happens. I went to the GP and was told that sometimes our body can react funny for some innocent reasons. I believed that. But since then another 2 weeks have passed and my calf keeps getting swollen and recently noticed that area becomes painful, not at touch but some kind of deep pain. The tissue isn't rigid and haven't got pain when pressing along the vein. I also have noticed that it gets swollen mostly on a side (on the exterior). I may be worrying too much but I don't find this to be normal especially because I have to make sure that I always have a scissors at hand at work in case I need to cut off my trousers and I really don't wear tight trousers. I would really appreciate if you could please advise me. Thank you in advance!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. First off you need a Doppler venous flow study to see if this is a deep venous thrombosis since, untreated, it can lead to a pulmonary embolusAnother possibility would be incompetent leaking valves in the leg vein.Heart problems as well as kidney problems can cause leg swelling but usually in both legs, not just one.I don't agree though with what your doctor said--that this is just an innocent symptomPlease let me know if you need more information
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the answer. Could this be related with an intense physical activity (running) which in fact was stopped a week before first symptoms appeared? Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It might be a tendonitis problem but really it isn't acting like that and I think the Doppler study is a must
Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank so very much! I will seek medical attention and will let you know about the results. Have a good evening!