Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am obese as I am 5ft 9.5ins and I weigh 21st 2lb.

Customer Question

Hello, I am obese as I am 5ft 9.5ins and I weigh 21st 2lb. Last year I was 23st 7lb, but I lost some weight as I changed from Quetiapine to Haloperidol (15mg - 5mg mane 10mg nocte). I have suffered with mental health since March 2005 and in total I gained
a lot of weight. In 2005 I weighed 11st exactly. By the way I am Afro-Caribbean and a female of 30 years old. I have been prescribed Fluoxetine, Risperidone, Amisulpride, Aripiprazole, Quetiapine and finally Haloperidol which at last works very well for me.
My psychiatrist has reduced it from 15mg to 10mg (5mg BD) and now 9mg (4mg mane 5mg nocte). She plans to reduce it to either 4mg or 5mg as a maintenance dose as long as I stay well. May I ask is it possible to lose weight while on Haloperidol 9mg? So far since
changing from Quetiapine to Haloperidol I have lost 2st 5lb without exercising. I don't eat a lot of food. Everyday I eat approximately 2000 kcal. Right now I have reached a plateau. What can I do to lose weight or would you advice that I just maintain until
my medication is reduced? Is the plateau due to the Haloperidol? Is it difficult to lose weight while on Haloperidol? I don't want bariatric surgery as I don't eat excessively. Also can I lose weight while eating 2000 kcal per day, going to the gym twice a
week and walking a lot on other days? I feel like I am doing something wrong. I do drink a lot of sugary drinks - cherry coke and cream soda. My mum buys a lot of sugary drinks. Thanking you in advance
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
any other medical issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was diagnosed with a schizo-affective disorder, I have mild to moderate acne and I have the mildest form of sarcoidosis.Is it possible to lose weight while on haloperidol?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I have slightly raised prolactin. I have had this throughout my medication. Does raised prolactin prevent weight loss?
ABsolutely it can. And the medications can affect weight loss.YOu proably will need to try harder than the average person
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Phil,This makes a lot of sense. My psychiatrist is pleased with me and plans to gradually reduce my medication to the maintenance dose. I will be patient, eat healthy and wait until my haloperidol is further reduced.Do you have any advice about weight loss while on haloperidol?
Get the book Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman. It is the best diet book there is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much! I feel so happy as I do eat around 2000 calories and I love walking. I will go on Amazon and check out this book. Thank you ☺
please dont forget a positive rating. I appreciate it