Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I may be being paranoid but I am concerned about my

Customer Question

I may be being paranoid but I am concerned about my neck pain. I woke up with a stiff neck this morning which has got progressively worse and the pain is now down my upper back to just below my shoulder blades.
I took 2 co-drydamol 500/10 approx. 16.45pm. No easing so I took 800 mg of ibuprofen approx. 3 hours ago and again co-drydamol 500/10 approx. 50 mins ago but it is not easing. It hurts to put my neck on to my chest but I can do it.
Some 5 weeks ago, i had this plus an all day headache so I completed the NHS direct questions diagnosis and it told me to call 999 which I didn't do, instead calling 101 who then called an ambulance for me. This appeared to be a waste of time and the guy said it was most likely muscular.
However, as this is not easing despite pain relief I have again completed the NHS direct questions again and despite no headache it has again told me to dial 999 which I don't want to do when its not necessary.
I went online tonight due to wondering about other symptoms including approx. 6 weeks ago everything tasting metallic in my mouth even when i ate and this still remaining most of the time. My best friend did some research and then reminded me of an accident I had some 20 years ago when I landed on my head and a substantial amount of clear fluid which I could not stop pouring from my nose for approx. 1 minute. This has occurred a couple of times over the past couple of years but for shorter periods and she has said I need to get it checked. However, my doctors are always busy, dislike the internet self diagnosis type of suggestions and I don't want to waste their time.
So am I barking up the wrong tree, being paranoid, should I call NHS direct or ?
Many thanks, Alison
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Any fever with this? And any other symptoms like a balance problem or vision change?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No fever but some balance issues, however, I had an inner ear infection years ago and carry and take(prochlorperazine (when needed) to correct this with which is not often albeit I did yesterday as I felt sick and was dizzy. My vision is okay ish lol. I have recently experienced a change with more blurring but put this down to using reading glasses (from a pound shop) to play games on my phone.Gosh i sound like a hypercondriac! I do apologise I just don't want to miss anything.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No need for apologies.
This doesn't sound so serious as to require an emergency call and a trip to the ER
It sounds like a typical tension headache situation from spasm of your neck muscles but if it continues beyond another day I would get an MRI of your cervical spine to see if a disk problem there is the cause.
Let me know if you need more information please