Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Had diarrhea and abdo discomfort /cramping days, still

Had diarrhea and abdo discomfort /cramping for 3 days, still hungry so have been eating normally. Should I be starving myself to help it go away or take Imodium ? I am a Icu nurse , and so off work with this at moment.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, this is most likely a viral infection. As for whether the diet should be adjusted would depend upon the severity of the symptoms. If the abdominal pain or diarrhea is more severe, then changing to a clear liquid diet can help to ease symptoms. Since you say you are going to work, that would usually indicate that the symptoms are not severe, and in this situation, it would be fine to eat if you are feeling hungry. Even if eating, it is important to be drinking extra fluids to compensate for fluid loss in the diarrhea and assure hydration. It would be fine to take Imodium to help with the diarrhea. It also may help to be eating yogurt with an active culture or take a probiotic to help to replenish the good germs in the gut.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.