Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had a complicated hip replacement three and a half weeks

I had a complicated hip replacement three and a half weeks ago. I'm on blood, thinners, iron tablets and painkillers. My hip seems to be repairing well but I am exhausted all the time -is this normal? Have you any advice for me? I am a 61 year old woman
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some additional information.
What was complicated about your hip replacement?
Did you lose a large amount of blood during the surgery?
Do you have the most recent test of hemoglobin or hematocrit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In removing a metal appliance from my hip the bone was broken in 2 places during the op. I lost a lot of blood and a blood transfusion was considered but in the end iron tablets prescribed My last blood test was in hospital 3 weeks ago- I don't really remember the results - does 8 mean anything ?

The 8 was probably the hemoglobin level.

I suspected that you might have had a significant amount of blood loss. In someone that has had any major surgery that was complicated by excessive blood loss and a significantly low hemoglobin, it is normal to feel exhausted all the time and for the exhaustion to continue to be a problem at this point. When the hemoglobin drops significantly, the blood is not able to carry as much oxygen, and oxygen is necessary to burn fuel. And when this happens quickly, the person will typically feel more symptomatic. When anemia develops gradually, the body can become somewhat accustomed to the anemia, but when it happens quickly, such as from blood loss during surgery, the body will be more impacted.

There also is some amount of exhaustion that happens after any major surgery, but the level of exhaustion will be more severe and take longer to recover when there has been significant blood loss.

Recovery will take some time, but there are a couple of interventions that would be appropriate. Taking iron supplements is the most important nutrient to help build the blood. It also would be important to take a general multivitamin, particularly one that contains folic acid and vitamin B12, the other nutrients that are used in making new red blood cells. A good diet that includes good protein intake also is important in recovering from major surgery and getting your energy levels back to normal.

Of course, you should also have been instructed in how to gradually increase your activity levels and this also may help with improving your levels of exhaustion.

If I can provide any clarification, please le tme know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** thing. I have been given physio moves to work my hip and told to use 2 crutches for 3 more weeks but no instructions re activity levels. Have you any suggestions for me?

At this point, you should not do more than the physio moves that have been instructed. Further advances in activity will be advised by your doctor when appropriate, and I cannot recommend any additional activities because the progression in activity will be different according to the location of the fractures and the nature of the repair. But the physio moves and using crutches are what should be done at this point.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.