Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have something which has been growing rapidly on my lower

Customer Question

I have something which has been growing rapidly on my lower left leg! It started as a darkening patch about the size of a credit card on and neat the bone which runs down from my knee to my ankle; it wasn't painful but I went to my GP anyway as I was worried it might be related to varicose veins on that leg... My GP started me on a treatment cream called Hirudoid, which was about as much use as a chocolate teapot!
I went again about a month ago and another GP in the same practice started the same treatment all over again! Again 100g of this substance has done nothing and now the patch is about the size of an A4 sheet of brown paper and quite painful! Phlebitis is their diagnosis, but this is somewhat general and their treatment simply does not work...
I am presently treating this patch with a product called Dermalex Repair, which seriously seems to be having an effect... What is on my leg, is it dangerous (I have heart problems and a back injury), what other treatments can I try to sort this problem out? I suspected a ringworm, but this should be unlikely as I live in a small town!
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Could you attach a picture of the area?
I had asked for a picture and have not heard back.

If this is a superficial phlebitis, then there are several other interventions that can be done. The usual next step would be the local application of moist heat and the use of an oral anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. For someone with chronic venous insufficiency, it also may help to take a supplement called horse chestnut.

Living in s small town does not preclude the possibility of a ringworm infection, which despite its name is ***** ***** fungal infection. It can be treated by using a topical antifungal, such as clotrimazole.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried clotrimazole it did nothing so I should assume it is not a ringworm... I will try to get a picture of my leg to you under the proviso that it does not end up on any website as having been sorted out unless it is!

JWS

OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It'll take a while I have to wait for someone to take the picture which will be later today, and I will send that on Saturday morning... Thanks for your patience.

JWS

That is fine.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here is an Image of my left leg I hope it is sufficient to give you the information you require!

Thank you for the picture.

The appearance on this image is of a stasis dermatitis, which is inflammation of the skin that is associated with swelling in the skin from poor venous function. The poor venous function can be related to phlebitis, but it is more often due to chronic venous insufficiency.

It is very difficult to get control of this by treating the inflammation in the skin, either with a steroid cream or the Dermalex that you have been trying. They may help slightly, but usually do not get good control. And we usually would prefer to avoid long term use of steroid creams.

Instead, it is usually more effective to treat the underlying poor venous function. If there is phlebitis, it can be treated as discussed above. However, it is more likely that you will benefit from management for chronic venous insufficiency. The primary treatment for venous insufficiency would be the use of stockings that help to promote venous return, and this is typically done with medical support stockings, such as TED stocking. It also can help to use a supplement called horse chestnut.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The primary treatment for venous insufficiency would be the use of stockings that help to promote venous return, and this is typically done with medical support stockings, such as TED stocking. It also can help to use a supplement called horse chestnut.

This is the exact same treatment attempted by my GP some 2 years ago... It didn't work then so why should I consider it will work now...

You must be British and you must be NHS because you are using the tried and failed "plaster" that doesn't work... I am not accepting this as worth continuing with so please do us both a favour and stow it!

James XXXXXXX

You did not include treatment with support stockings or horse chestnut in your original question. If you do not include complete information, then the answer will not reflect it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Be so kind as to stop communicating with me! You have not offered anything remotely resembling a solution to the problem, just more questions and more stupidity... I have virtually no faith in doctors as itr is, and you are making it even worse... Go practise deception on someone else...

Regards,

James W Smith

If you respond to me, then the system requires me to respond to you.