Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have a picture of my tonsil i would like an ENT Specialist

Customer Question

Hi, I have a picture of my tonsil i would like an ENT Specialist to look at.
History:
3 Years ago I got a viral infection, my tonsils inflamed and the right one stay slightly larger than the left, this tonsil got sore then after a while it was fine and i was symptom free until June of this year. I was diagnosed with tonsillitis which was causing ear ache and was put on antibiotics which helped in the short term but eventually the soreness came back, I noticed a single white spot in the tonsil that was there for months but disappeared a few weeks back. Since June I've had weeks with only slight symptoms and other weeks with full soreness, foreign body feeling in the tonsil. When you see the photo I want to upload you will notice there seems to be small white bumps just below the tonsil surface, do you know what this could be?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
Can you please attach a picture for me to see.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

This seems likely to be nothing serious or anything to worry about.

It seems like a tonsilith or a tonsillar stone.

Not anything serious.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It looks like there are 5 or 6 small stones in there, how can I get them out are they infected?, My mouth feels sore and hot/burning in that area, do I need an antibiotic to settle this?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
It does not seem as if they are infected.But if you are having pain I would recommend taking an antibiotic because pain does mean that there is possibly an infection.These stones can be taken out easily but if they are not bothering you too much they do not need to be taken out.Let me know if you have more questions.Rate me when you are done.Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK Doctor thank you for your time today. I have an appointment with the ENT specialist in a few weeks, I will discuss it with him then. I the meantime ill just have to take paracetamol & try and get a prescription from my doctor to calm down the burning feeling in that area which I presume is local inflammation.

David

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My mouth & throat seem sore on the same side especially when I swallow , is this normal with tonsil stones?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is normal with tonsillar stones.Not something that I would worry about at all.