Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Two things: my mother is 91, who has heart and bowel problems,

hi, two things: my mother is 91, who has heart and bowel problems, and little sight, but has always managed be alert, join in on discussions about the news, and if she has a bad day to recover. She does suffer from depression since losing my father and is taking 50 ml citralopran. In the last two months she has changed somewhat: she finds it hard to concentratee on her audio tapes; she has started to be confused abut what time of day it is, forgetting what meal she has had,b she has become very anxious if I(her daughter) leave her, or the room. I live with her but have carers so that I can go to work. Her mobility has deteriorated and she shuffles. She sits in the chair with her head down, and appears to sleep more. She is having investigations for 'ice pick" headaches and the neurologist has not found anything as yet.She is due to have a scan. Having nursed my father with alzeimers for 4 years before he died at 93, I wondered if she is showing some symptoms of dementia. I wondered if you have any thoughts
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.I am sorry to hear about your mother's symptoms.These do suggest early onset dementia.Now this can be Alzheimer's or just senile dementia.If the brain MRI scan is normal for her age, then senile dementia is likely.However the treatment is pretty much the same.Medications like Galantamine, Memantine can be tried alone or in combination to improve her cognitive abilities and delay the progress of the disease.She should also have strong and sustained family support and social interactions as part of treatment.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/