Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I .have cataract in one eye.i intend to have surgery but trying

I .have cataract in one eye.i intend to have surgery but trying to decide between trifocal and the syphony lens can you help me
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I can help.What is your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to have surgery for cat\aract in my one eye. I am short sighted so was going to have mono focal iol but was advised by surgeon to have trifocal or symphony iol but am a bit confused about them

Basically the symfony is a new lens that uses newer technology to treat presbyopia.The trifocal lens does the same thing.I think you could go either way.The synfony is a new technology and is great but the trifocal is tried and true. If it were me and cost were the same I would probably get the symfony
do you have any more questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for reply.can you tell me why you would go for the symphony

It is newer and better technology than the trifocal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just have one more question.what is restor multifocai iol

That is a type of lens that uses apodization technology.basically this is a new technology that helps to distribute light through the lens.It is like an iphone if the normal lens is a nokia flip phone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I recently a asked a question about iol lenses in cataract surgery. I have another question. I am trying to make a decision where to go for surgery, im considering going abroad for it. my problem is that I am confused. I have had 3 consultations.2 in Harley st and 1 at midland eye hospital. one in Harley st recommended phaco surgery because the lens was dense. the second recommended femto surgery with tri focal iol. the third in midlands where I live recommended femto. I told doctor what Harley st said, and he said a dense cataract is better with femto because it uses less power. Im confused

Femto is relatively new and although there are a touted list of benefits this study doesn't necessary concurhttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4398800/phaco is tried and true. I would stick with that for now