Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  MBBS,MD (USA)Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
23050427

I have a bruise which is large and deep purple on the back

I have a bruise which is large and deep purple on the back of my knee which ordinarily I would not be concerned about, except for I have recently returned from a holiday to America and the day after I landed this bruise appeared with no apparent cause. It is possible that I knocked myself without realising but a bruise of this size and colour would suggest a significant knock that I would have remembered. I do not usually bruise easily and the area is sore to touch and often itches. Please could you let me know if this is something I need to be concerned about? I don't really want to take a valuable slot away from someone who might genuinely need one at my GP surgery if it's just a bruise. Any information and advice would be appreciated. Many thanks Tara (29 years old)
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
hi there,I am online and will be happy to answer your questions. is it possible for you to attach a picture , please?
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
for how long this bruise is present?how long was the flight duration?do you feel pain on movement of leg?any bruise on anyother part of body?are you taking oral contraceptive pills? this is an information request, please reply so i can help you. thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes of course, i will be a few minutes while I take one and upload it.
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
thank you. and also please let me know about the questions i asked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached the picture. Thank you.
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
for how long this bruise is present?how long was the flight duration?do you feel pain on movement of leg? any pain in calf muscles ?any bruise on anyother part of body?are you taking oral contraceptive pills?fever or any other symptom you have?this is an information request, please reply so i can help you. thanks
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
if you have been using/ are using oral contraceptive pill / feel pain in leg on movement, i would recommend to have doppler ultrasound of leg .otherwise i would like you to get complete blood count , PT/ INR tests to see if there is problem with clotting.I hope this helps.please feel free to ask any questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My flight was 10 hours in total and the bruise appeared the day after we landed so it's been present for 3 full days now. The area in which the bruise is feels very tender and it often itches but I have not experienced any pain in my calf muscles and there are no bruises on any other parts of my body. I do not take any medication, I was taking the contraceptive pill Yasmin but I came off that medication in August. The only syptoms I have are tenderness and itching in the area of bruise.Thanks
Tara
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
thank you for replying,you should get doppler ultrasound of leg. ( pain, ocp use, history of travel are stron complling factors to rule out blood clot in leg veins).. can present like this. if you develop bruise easily or if you have history of heavy bleeding/ mucosal bleed, gum bleed, or any bruises on body, please also get tested for cbc and PT/INR
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
I am here to help you and I wish you best health,if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box.we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask anytime.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drhashmimd/?rpt=3800
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you for your advice. Should I see my own GP tomorrow as an urgency appointment or will a standard appointment suffice, there's usually a 2 week wait for a standard appointment.
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
you should see tomorrow. because clot should be ruled out early. thanks.
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience: MBBS,MD (USA)Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks you
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
you are very welcome.