Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have recently been to the dentists because of

Hi ,
I have recently been to the dentists because of a small white lum on my gums just left of my top front teeth. It is hard and doesn't hurt unless I push down on it. My dentist x rayed the area and gave me antibiotics but the lump hasn't gone. He has said that it could be dead root that doesn't show up on an x ray. He has now referred me to a specialist and has said it will take about a month to see him. I am now extremely concerned that this could be cancer . He has told me that it's nothing to worry about but could be if I don't get it looked at which has worried me even more. Any advice would be appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Can you attach a picture of the white lump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here it is
Thank you for the picture.
This does not look like cancer. The appearance looks most like a prominent bone, such as an exostosis or cyst, but this should have been detected on the x-ray. It certainly could be a tooth root that is growing in an abnormal direction. However, it does not look to be cancerous.
The reason that your dentist says that it is not a reason to be worried at present but could be with time is that the prominence over time can cause deterioration of the lining of the mouth around the prominence or on the inner aspect of the lip that rubs on the area. I do not see any deterioration at this time, but it is appropriate to get this addressed to prevent any deterioration that may happen in the future.
So, I agree that while it does not look like cancer, it is appropriate to be seen on consultation to get the issue dealt addressed, but it does not need urgent attention.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks, ***** ***** dentist had explained it like that I wouldn't have had to worry so much. Many thanks
You are most welcome.