Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  MBBS,MD (USA)Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
23050427

Been as i have an anxiety and depressive disorder. Would my

Been as i have an anxiety and depressive disorder. Would my children develop the same disorder?
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,I am online and will be happy to answer your questions.I am sorry to hear about your problem. the answer to your questions is no and may be yes although genes do play a role in depression and anxiety, but environment, personal experiences, substance use, play much more important role.strongest genetic influence is in bipolar disorder. ( depression alternating with mania )and risk increases if both parents suffer from disease. ( more family members having depression/ anxiety disorder , more chances of newborns to suffer. )
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
Genetic factors play a stronger role for depression in females than males. One twin study found that the heritability of major depression was significantly higher in women compared with men (42 versus 29 percent)
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
Early life stress such as childhood trauma influences vulnerability to psychopathology throughout life and may predispose individuals to major depression by altering sensitivity to stress and response to negative stimuli .Social factors such as isolation, poor social relationships, criticism from family members, and depression in one's friends and neighbors may lead to depression onset or perpetuate depressive episodesFamily members may contribute to onset and persistence of depression through negative, critical comments and emotional over-involvement .
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
one parent or sibling with depression, there is around 3 times more likely to develop depression .for twins ( it is around 38 percent)risk is strongest for bipolar which is over 50 percent. i hope this all helps.please let me know if you have any questions.I am here to help you and I wish you best health,if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box.we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask anytime.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drhashmimd/?rpt=3800