Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

What can I do fungal nail infection? I have tried a lot

What can I do for a fungal nail infection? I have tried a lot of over the counter medications and they have not worked. Both my big toes are swollen and painful as my nails are now ingrown. I am really embarrassed by this please help
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.Thank you for your question.I will be helping you out with your concerns today.I am sorry to hear about your problem.Toenail fungal infections are extremely stubborn and do not go away easily at all.You will require oral antifungal medications for a long period of time to get this treated. For instance terbinafine which is an antifungal medication is used at a dose of 250 mg (1 tablet) PO daily for 12 weeks for toenail infections.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.Kind regards