Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have had inflamed neck muscles now weeks and I can't

I have had inflamed neck muscles now for 5 weeks and I can't find a course of treatment that does any good. I have had four massage treatments by qualified practioners and have taken Brufen tablets.
I have seen a doctor who prescribed codine and fibrogell because it makes you constipated.
Can you help please
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
you should ask your doctors for blood test to check for creatinine phosphokinase levels to check for myositis inflammation of your muscles which can cause inflamed neck muscles
also you should get an MRI scan of your cervical spine neck which could have a pinched nerve or herniated disk pressing on nerves causing severe neck pain and inflammation.
you might need a steroid injection into your neck to help decrease pressure on nerves.
an xray or CT scan of your neck doesn't see disks or nerves at all in your neck.
you might benefit from a course of steroid therapy to help decrease inflammation
accupuncture could help you decrease pain.
let me know if you have questions.