Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

There, I have been really suffering the past two days

Hi there,
I have been really suffering the past two days with aches all over my whole body. Shooting pains under my breast bone in what feels like is in or near my heart and also very bad headache and cough. I have suffered with this shooting pain for a long time now and have had ECG and bloods etc done but nothing found. I'm really starting to worry about this and it's really affecting my day to day life :-( I can't see my GP for two weeks and to be honest I don't ever feel I get anywhere with them. Can you help? I'm so afraid I'm going to have a heart attack as silly as it sounds it's really worrying me
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
In what way can I be of help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just wonder if you can tell me what may be wrong with me, these aches all over, headaches and shooting pains under my breast near my heart general feeling of being unwell as per my original question? I have been seeing my GP about the pain in my chest or under the breastbone for some time but nothing ever comes of it and for some reason I am convinced there is something wrong with my heart. How can I get my GP to take me seriously and do these symptoms mean anything to you?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Do you have diabetes or other chronic medical conditions? Do you take any medications?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Bodyaches and shooting pains are common features found in fibromyalgia. Have your doctors discussed this diagnosis with you, or have you seen a rheumatologist?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The more I try self diagnose which is not great I know, I find that pericarditis and fibromyalgia keep coming up. Fibromyalgia has never been discussed even though I am constantly tired that is always put down to my thyroid and also the pain under breast bone put down to thyroid. One doctor mentioned pericarditis once but nothing was said or done after this. I had auto immune bloods done and a test for rheumatoid arthritis which was normal I believe.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
It sounds very much like a rheumatologic condition, i.e. one caused by the immune system inappropriately attacking normal tissues such as muscles and nerves. A rheumatologist could help sort this out for you. In many such cases, the blood tests fail to pinpoint the problem. Two non-specific markers that can help look for inflammation in the blood are the sed rate (ESR) and the C-reactive proteine (CRP). I would suggest you ask your doctor for these tests and a referral to rheum. If this is auto-immune in nature, there are medications that can help a lot.
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience: 20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate that doctors are very busy people with a very heavy workload but I just always feel fobbed off and sometimes I almost feel like they make me feel I imagine this pain but I don't. I also experience tingling in my hands sometimes and a lot recently and have been referred for some physio for neck and back pain as I suffer from spasms too. Anyway I guess I will try get my appt brought forward and ask for the tests you mention. Thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I hope all works out for the best for you. Whatever you do, don't give up on this. There is an explanation and a treatment available...you just have to find the right doctor willing to listen and do the detective work! :-)