Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

UK doctor required. Help please, don't know what to do anymore. I

UK doctor required.
Help please, don't know what to do anymore.
I need some advice. I have tested at home, with BioSURE Home Self testing kits, the ones that give you a result in 15 minutes. I have tested four times at 13,14, and two at 15 months all four tests negative. I have severe anxiety. I have spent so much time talking to doctors, I don't seem to be getting anywhere. Do you suggest getting a test at a clinic as these are home tests that you do yourself?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
I notice that no UK based doctor has responded, but I am familiar with the BioSure test and can assist you.

The BioSure test is extremely accurate. Each individual test is 99.7% accurate, and with four negative tests, there is no realistic concern that an HIV infection could be missed. If you do the math for four independent tests with a 0.3% error rate, the likelihood that four tests will miss an infection is less than 1 in 12 billion. Statistically, you are more likely to die by driving in your car to go get another test done, so there is no reason to consider additional testing.

I have noticed that you have asked this question multiple times and each expert has told you that you do not need to be concerned. Although it is not medically indicated to have any further testing, if your anxiety will only abate by getting a lab based test done, then it would be OK to do so. In this case, accepting the risk of death in an auto accident would be warranted if the anxiety is more significant.

Another option that I frequently recommend to patients that want testing is to simply go and donate blood. All donated blood is tested for HIV and other germs. If donated blood tests positive, they will inform the person that donated the blood. If it tests negative, then you are helping someone that will need a blood transfusion in the future.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for contacting me.

I went to see my GP on Tuesday. But he was dismissive of the whole thing. I have booked in at my local clinic as I am having problems with my periods. I might ask her for a full STI check.

I have spoken to several people at BioSURE and doctors but I can't seem to get closure.

What do you suggest?

If the above information is not sufficient to get closure, then it would be reasonable to get whatever testing would get you closure. And if you donate blood, then you will also be accomplishing another good act.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay,

It's the fact I am scared to get another type of test for fear of it being positive. Have you ever heard of this?

Thanks again.

There are many people that have unreasonable fears pertaining to HIV.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I meant have you ever seen someone test negative and then test positive outside the window period?

No.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thank you very much.

I will get a confirmatory test at the clinic and hopefully that will ease my fears.

You are very welcome.