Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Good morning. I have had an extremely sore throat (ie as if

Good morning. I have had an extremely sore throat (ie as if I'm swallowing razor blades) since Tuesday that does not seem to be getting better. Placed in context, I left London for Manila on Monday for business with a low level headache and a tired feeling body. The 2 days in Manila I spend engaging with people, so I was required to talk alot and it was over this time I got worse. I arrived back in England Friday afternoon. Cold & flu tablets work a little bit but as soon as they wear off, I feel exactly the same, ie awful. Any suggestions? Thank you, Jane
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Is there any redness, swelling, or purulent drainage on the throat?
Have you noticed any swelling of the lymph nodes in the neck, any fever, or a cough?
Has there been any heartburn or sinus drainage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I haven't noticed any redness or swelling or drainage. However, my neck was extremely tender for a day but I attributed that to having to talk when my throat was so sore. I have a cough that is slightly juicy but not chesty. No fever or heartburn but some sinus drainage. I am not eating very much because it is rather painful to do so and my appetite is not very good.

Thank you for the additional information.

The most likely cause of this sore throat is a viral infection of the throat, called a pharyngitis. Since you are also having some sinus drainage, the virus also may be affecting the entire upper respiratory tract.

I ask about the associated symptoms, because certain symptoms either point towards a virus or a Strep infection, and in each case, your symptoms point towards a viral infection.

It is also possible to get a significant sore throat from acid reflux, but there would usually be some heartburn present. This is not absolutely true, so this may still need to be considered if the symptoms are persistent.

As with most common viral infections, there is no intervention that will directly eradicate the virus, but these infections will resolve spontaneously. The duration of a viral pharyngitis can vary from a couple days to a couple weeks. Since we cannot directly eradicate the virus, the best that can be done is to ease symptoms until it resolves spontaneously. The cold and flu tablets and throat lozenges are reasonable to continue. Zinc lozenges have also been shown to be helpful, but really only when they are started within the first three days, and you are now starting the fourth day of illness. They will not hurt you, but they are not likely to help. It also would be fine to take either paracetamol or ibuprofen to help ease the pain and soreness in the throat as well as the headache. In addition, it can be very soothing to apply icy/cold foods to the throat, and while the most commonly recommended food is ice cream, any icy or very cold food would be OK.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.