Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My son bought my daughter and I some earrings from eBay

Customer Question

Hi my son bought my daughter and I some earrings from eBay a online auction site, we wore the earrings so we did not upset him, but I am a bit concerned that they may not have been new. Can HIV be transferred from earrings worn by someone else then my daughter and I wearing them? Also I had some roses bought for me and I pricked myself on them, if someone did the same thing before me is this a risk for HIV?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
no, HIV can no be transferred by used earrings, even if there was HIV virus on the earrings.
if you are worried, you can bleach and clean the earrings which can kill HIV
rose thorns would not transfer HIV
these are not risk factors for HIV
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your quick reply, so no need for testing following wearing secondhand earrings or from a Rose thorn prick?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no need for HIV testing.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So does that mean that the HIV virus cannot live on anything, I pay for a little boy to go to school in Africa through World Vision, I had a letter/card sent to me from him and the village and there was a red splash on it which looks like blood, can I get HIV from this or would the virus be dead?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have rated you please answer my last question. Thank you so much, sorry!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
HIV virus needs direct blood to blood transmission to be transmitted.
it does not live on objects.
you don't have to worry about this card or letter from Africa spreading HIV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So even if the card with blood spot on it came into contact with my blood or any other of my body fluids it would be ok because the virus would be dead!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, sorry I wonder if I touch my eyes after touching the blood on the card could be a risk of HIV infection?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or if it got into my mouth with a mouth ulcer or cut in my mouth or in my hand. Sorry I can only do this in small messages as my computer won't allow me to do any other way!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
HIV is a hard virus to contract.
none of the scenarios you mentioned would put you at risk for HIV.
there are only a few ways to contract HIV.
having traumatic and bloody vaginal or anal sex or sharing IV drug needles with someone who has HIV or getting a blood transfusion of blood infected with HIV.
you don't have to worry about contracting HIV
these worries are a manifestation of excessive anxiety for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Doctor, I worry that after touching the card from Africa with blood on it, I put my finger into my nose to stop a sneeze and scratched the lining of my nose and made it bleed am I safe from HIV infection still, I had Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer will this make a difference to my immunity ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from HIV ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, I have told you that you are safe from HIV.
you can't get HIV this way.
even if you have chemotherapy before.
this doesn't affect your immunity
your immunity is fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr David this is my final question I promise! If I sat on the card with blood on it from Africa or elseware, and I had no underwear on, so it could get into vaginal fluid could this be a source for HIV infection. I will sign off after this final question, I think my OCD is taking over, but I just need reassurance on this question. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, you couldn't get HIV this way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I scratch myself on a bramble bush after someone else, is this a risk of HIV infection ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, this not a risk for HIV infection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Dr David, just so I know and can repeat to myself. Can I get HIV if I cut myself after someone else on knives, razors, scissors, sewing needles, toothbrushes, secondhand earrings, craft knives, foil food containers and anything else we use everyday, can these be a way of being infected with HIV, if someone (eg lady who helps me clean) or strangers cut themselves, then I cut myself on the same item? Or is this OCD? Please any advice of how I can tell myself not to be so stupid!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, you can't contract HIV this way
this is your OCD making you worried.
you need to stop worrying about contracting HIV
you should see a psychotherapist to talk about your worries.
you should talk to your doctor about treatment for your OCD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have told you about the card from Africa with the blood stain on it, now I have thoughts and compulsions that I am putting it down my pants and wiping my private parts with it, am I at risk from HIV from doing this or is this OCD ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And now I am worried about all the secondhand earrings I have worn. My head is just buzzing with the fear of HIV . I just want it to go away and leave me alone!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mind is searching for things that could infect me, from blood stains and me getting infected from this through cuts etc.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you have excessive anxiety symptoms
you need to get treatment for excessive anxiety symptoms
you don't have risks for HIV.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I have excessive anxiety issues and I am trying to cope with everyday life, which is a struggle at the moment. I will be seeing a specialist this month.
I am trying to carry on as normal Dr David I really am, like today I took my neighbours dog for a walk, while she is at work, and when I took him back to her house, either her or her children had not done the washing up, I ran the tap to give the dog fresh water, and in doing so caught my hand on a sharp knife on the side, can I get HIV from this? I don't know my neighbour that well. I feel I just want to put myself in a bubble and not go out in the wide wide world. Am I just worrying for nothing.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or touching my eyes after the knife or blood on surfaces. I have to go running club tonight, should I just go and say damn it to OCD
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Do you need my help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This all started from my son buying my daughter and I some earrings, and we have worn them, he then told us they were secondhand, I am worried that my daughter and I have HIV from this?
HIV doesn't live on surfaces for more than 24 hours.someone would have to have had HIV, bled on the earring then you wore it within 24 hours and had an open wound in your ear.Virtually impossible for that to happen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh but how do I know it wan not less than 24 hours, from the time my son bought them and I tried them on was less than 24 hours, also my cleaner lady who must have chipped a glass jug left some of the glass which I them cut myself on and sheath have done the same, how do I know this is less than 24hours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I mean she may have cut herself on the glass shard before I did, and being less than 24 hours time span?
don't you think it is not likely it was 24 hoursplus you don't have an open wound on your body to accept the HIV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about if there was blood on my path to my house, now it could be animal or human, the postman put a parcel down where the blood is, I picked up the parcel then I scratched my eye, does that count as a open wound? Could I get HIV from this or would the virus have died I don't know how long the blood had been there!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or the envelope or parcel had touched my eyes? Also I am scared as I have had Cancer twice, cancer does not give you symptoms always and can be silent, is HIV silent too? Or would I know I had it ?
studies show that people don't get HIV from environmental contact.It just doesn't happen
Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it.
If you have more questions, just reply :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am trying to give you a rating but the website has changed and I am a bit confused on how to do it! Also I think I should let you know that I have been to my OCD specialist and they have told me that I must do Cognitive therapy around OCD and particularly the HIV. That means I must feel as if I have HIV and stay with it until the anxiety goes down, as the body can only stand anxiety for a short while, and I must not seek reassurance! I am trying this but it is hard and they said it would not be easy. I need to know that the HIV virus can only stay alive for a short while, and I am not in danger from cutting myself on knives etc etc that other people may have done beforehand. I am thinking sometimes that I have jabbed myself on a used syringe in the street, but I have to tell myself that it is unlikely to infect me with HIV. I fear all Body fluids and fear anyone using my bathroom which they do when I have builders etc, but I have to just ignore my thoughts and just use the bathroom without cleaning it after. I will have to stop seeking reassurance from websites like yourselves, but I thank you for all the help you have given me.
Thankyou and hopefully goodbye.
just rate positive here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know that anything I have mentioned about HIV and exposure to it is safe.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Positive Rating
you have to click the face at the bottom
or you could just open a new question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello sorry I cannot find the smiley face but I give you five star positive rating. Can I just ask you a last question about HIV fear, I shook hands with a vicar who had a pin badge on his cassock, I caught my hand on the pin and it bleed, the vicar is gay, am I at risk from HIV if he pricked his hand first then I did?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello am I logged on at all or do I need to do something else to get an answer? I am worried as my hairdresser used my bathroom and had a heavy period, she put the remains of a Tampax (internal sanitary towel) in the bin. I have a shelf in the bathroom where we keep our toothbrushes, if she put the old bloody sanitary towel there while she put a new one on, it would be where our toothbrushes lay, is this a HIV risk as I have used the toothbrushes since, is this my OCD and do I just carry on using the toothbrushes and not worry about HIV??
I will forward this to customer service to help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Phil, I have accepted more Q&A time but it seems to not be showing up! I also wanted to add that I look after a neighbours dog and today he bit me while playing, if he had bitten someone before me with HIV and then bit me is this a scenario for HIV transmission ?..