Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been getting stomach pain and spasms, this first

Customer Question

I have been getting stomach pain and spasms, this first started about three weeks ago it even hurt the bottom of my stomach when passing urine and getting pain in my groin.
This last week I am waking up in the night to go to the toilet and my bowel movement has changed from going every three to four days to sometimes three times a day, and the pain in my stomach is getting worse.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Have you previously had abdominal pain related to IBS?
Is there any burning with urination or any blood in the urine?
I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.
There are a couple of primary considerations in this situation.
When there is abdominal associated with passing urine, one of the major concerns would be whether there is a urinary tract infection, or UTI, and it would be more likely that there is a UTI if there is any burning with urination or blood in the urine.
Abdominal pain is also a common symptom due to IBS, which is most often due to cramping or spasm of the muscles of the gut. This would be more likely if there is a history of abdominal pain related to the IBS.
There are also many other possible cause of abdominal pain. In someone with a possible UTI, it would be appropriate to be seen as antibiotics would be appropriate if a UTI is confirmed. For IBS related pain, it may help to take an antispasmodic, such as Bentyl. If these problems are not present then it would be appropriate to pursue evaluation of other possible causes of abdominal pain.