DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I received a skin graft at the base of my nose following

Hi, I received a skin graft at the base of my nose (from the tip below) following a trauma ten years ago. The adopted skin was taken from behind my ear and adjoined successfully however it has always remained much darker than the rest of my nose and face so stands out somewhat. I wanted to know what I can try to lighten this small area. I have tried microdermabrasion but it proved unsuccessful perhaps because the layer of skin is too thick for it to be effective? Please could you recommend any alternative solutions. I would be so grateful. Thank you

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloIt might not changeBut a dermatologist might prescribe hydroquinone, or hydroquinone mixed with other medications.This can be used over a 3 to 12 week period to see if it has an effect. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've heard a lot of worrying things linking hydroquinine to skin cancer and I believe it is banned in the EU from commercial purchase. I'm not sure if this is substantiated or not -what is your opinion on this?

I'm assuming a dermatologist would only prescribe safe quantities but would value your opinion.

Regards,

Ahilan

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Cancer incidence from hydroquinone was based on oral studies in rats.There is no good evidence of cancer when used properly on the skin.Which, the dermatologist will prescribe, and monitor. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay thank you, ***** ***** have one last question before I ask my GP for a referral and provide my rating. Again it would be beneficial to get your expert opinion. In terms of how the hydroquinone will lighten the skin, does it work like a bleach in that it wipes out the melanin completely or does it work in tonal changes. I am of Asian (Indian) origin with medium coloured brown skin so I would worry that it goes from very dark brown to colourless if that makes sense.

If it's a gradual change that occurs over a long period then perhaps it's more controllable...?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
It works gradually with direct correllation with the duration of use, the strength the clinical monitoring of the individual.It does not go immHelloThe hair test is going to generally detect up to 90 days.It will not still be positive after 90 days, even with armpit hair.The test never reveals exactly when the use occurred.At 11 months, not a concern. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.ediately to color less.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry slightly confused by the hair test you mention. Please could you elaborate.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
There was some type of site problem where an answer from another post covered yours. Sorry.Here is the answer It works gradually with direct correllation with the duration of use, the strength the clinical monitoring of the individual.It does not go immediately white.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.