Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Have been on medication years but in

Have been on medication for hypertension for 24 years but in September I passed out because my BP had plummeted to 100 over 50. My GP reduced my mes by half which worked OK. Three weeks later he said to stop the meds altogether which I thought rather odd. However I stopped them and a couple of days later my BP shot up to 162 over 100 and I felt very ill indeed. I am at a loss to know why he stopped them altogether (although I have a very low pulse rate). Can you please enlighten me?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

you need to see a heart doctor for more specialized testing of your heart

if you have very low heart rate you could be having sick sinus syndrome or brachycardia or weak nerves in your heart causing poor electrical conduction in your heart which can cause your blood pressure to go up and down.

this is a very serious condition and needs to be fixed for your blood pressure to be correct.

changing your blood pressure medications up and down won't fix sick sinus syndrome

you might even need a pacemaker to help your heart have a better heart rhythm.

these are situations where you need to consult with a heart specialist or cardiologist.

ask your GP doctor to refer you to see a cardiologist for more heart testing and evaluation.

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for our advice. I will talk it over with my GP as soon as possible (he is presently on holiday). I need to get this sorted if it's such a serious condition.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes,

ask to consult with a cardiologist specialist.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com