Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have had fibroids and very heavy bleeding but only

Customer Question

I have had fibroids and very heavy bleeding but only during my (very regular) cycle. Am fearful of surgery and my gynaecologist doesn't seem to be offering anything else. Did some internet research and discovered that the contraceptive patch used continuously will stop periods. So I thought I'd try it. I started it mid cycle and today my period has started. I put on my third patch yesterday. I now realise that I can't take the Tranexamic acid that I usually take because of thrombosis risk. What can I do? I lost so much blood last time I thought I would die. My hub went down to from 11 to 7 in 24 hours.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I understand your concern here.
For now I suggest you not take the Tranexamic acid and hopefully with the patch on the bleeding won't be severe.
You're right about the risk of clots if you combine the two medications.
I also suggest you contact your doctor to discuss the situation
Let me know if you need more information please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me why I am having a "proper period"? It's the right due date and behaving exactly the same as a normal one so its not spotting. Also, can I take mefenamic acid to stop the bleeding?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is a proper period and for now the mefanamic acid will be fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why is it happening?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The patch strength isn't high enough to stop your period as yet--but enough to reduce the bleeding
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I can't get the bleeding under control could I remove the patch and take the Tranexamic acid? It's night where I am in England and I am worried.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Take off the patch and after an hour or so you can take the tranexamic acid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be better to keep the patch on and weather the storm if I can? If I can keep going with the patch continuously will my periods eventually stop?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay--your periods should stop with continuing the patch but again discuss this with your doctor