Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

At the age of 72 I have some expectation that my libido will

At the age of 72 I have some expectation that my libido will diminish. However for the last 18 months I have found that sex with my wife of 12 years is impossible started partly as a result of her own dryness but also because of my bi sexual tendancies of which she is well aware. To complicate matters I have recently had a knee replacement surgery and one of my sons of 36 recently died of pancreatic cancer. At the start of my relationship with my wife sex was frequent and successful. Notwithstanding my bereavement issues I believe that the trauma of my knee and ongoing back problems of many years although manegable have resulted in my current lack of libido. I am reasonably fit if somewhat overweight. However I cycle and have made a very rapid recovery from surgery which seems to have been successful. Can you advise briefly?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. While knee and back pain and even depression as in bereavement or otherwise could affect libido, you need to have your testosterone levels and your thyroid function checked since either of those being on the low side can definitely affect libidoLet me know if you need any more information please