Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

My symptoms are : breathlessness, intense lethargy, heavy feeling

Customer Question

My symptoms are : breathlessness, intense lethargy, heavy feeling in legs, dragging around. This came on suddenly , last May.
I have been diagnosed - my lungs are fine. The main pumping chamber of the heart is pumping well but the heart does not relax between heartbeats quite as well as it should. One of the valves in the heart has got a very small leak and the aortic valve is slightly narrowed - minimal aortic stenosis.
My two questions are - is the above sufficient to cause my symptoms.?
What would you recommend I do about it.? The consultant has not suggested anything so far. he has simply diagnosed.
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr.Customerand pleased to help you.
Your heart seems not to be the cause for your lethargy and breathlessness.
Before I can recommend something, let me please know your blood pressure, heart rate and the result of your bloos works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear DoctorCustomer

I am very interested in your reply. My blood pressure is fine , I don't know what my heart rate is and all the blood samples taken have also been fine. (I presume that's what you meant by 'bloos'

Berna Fitzgerald

I am sorry for the spelling mistake; I should have worn my glasses.
The trouble is that we don't know which parameters were tested. I think of hypothyreosis and chronic infection in the first place. If they have been excluded already, I whould search for rheumatic diseases.
Do you have any other conditions? Do you take any medication?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had pneumonia ( both lungs affected)last January and was in hospital. However I was getting better when I was suddenly afflicted last May with this breathlessness and lethargy. I spend a lot of time asleep and have lost interest in things.. My friends comment on the breathlessness because I am affected by it when talking, Before this I was a zippy energetic person, a walker. I now force myself to walk everyday but find it difficult to get up any enthusiasm for anything. I think I got a bit depressed

I am on 'Arimidex' as I had breast cancer 4 years ago. I feel I am better from that.

I am also taking 25 mcg of thyroxine every day

I am very interested in your saying that the aortic valve is not causing this problem as I couldn't think what else it might be

A slightly narrowed aortic valve can't cause such extreme tiredness. I think that the very lowly dosed thyroxine might be the reason. Were the levels checked lately?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, it was checked out on the 10th October and it seems the results were satisfactory ad no action was required. (I've just rung the surgery) What on earth can be the matter with me?

There is the whole neurological side which should be checked now. And special endocrinological oparameters like looking for adrenal insufficiency. I suggest you see the endocrinologist first or have this done by your GP. Is everything ok there (please look after Vitamins D3 and B12 and folic acid, too) it is the neurologist's turn.

Thank you very much for your friendly feedback and the bonus!
If you want to reach me for other questions, just hit this link:
http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-drhoellering/?rpt=3800
Here you will reach me directly.
I wish you all the best and a soon recovery!