Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I'm an 18 year old male and I have noticed that my right

Customer Question

I'm an 18 year old male and I have noticed that my right testicle is slightly harder and firmer than my left testicle.
I occasionally get pains in my right testicle during set periods every few weeks. I have received a few kicks to the testicles a few years ago, but not a major injury.
I have noticed that my scrotum skin has become red and I get pain in my lower abdomen after urination and sometimes a stinging pain at the tip of my penis after urination which lasts for about 5 mins.
I was born with problems with my kidneys and had an operation to correct bilateral reflux when I was 6 years old. I currently have right sided renal scarring.
Could this possible be linked and should I see my GP. What would he do to examine me and what kind of tests would I need?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--this needs checking out.You need a urinalysis, digital prostate and testicle exam, and a scrotal ultrasound.The symptoms sound like a prostate infection and probably nothing wrong with the testicles but if one is firmer it could be from a cancer tumor.I don't think any of this is linkes to your renal situationLet me know if you need more information please
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need more information Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could you give me lots more detail as to what type of prostate infection you think I have. And how it would be diagnosed. Also could you explain to me what happens during each of the tests you think I need.

Eg urinalysis, digital prostate and testicle exam, and a scrotal ultrasound.

2. What kind of questions will my doctor ask me and how will examine me.

Will I need any further tests - if so what would they be?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Probably from E coli and not an STD.
Diagnosed by digital prostate exam and urinalysis

The digital exam is a finger in your rectum
The urinalysis is peeing in a cup
Ultrasound is painless--just an instrument that uses sound wave to look at things--same thing that's done with pregnant women to look at their babies

You're doctor will just ask you about the symptoms you told me about.

You shouldn't need any further tests
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi could you tell me what happens during scrotal ultrasound and how to prepare?

thanks

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
A probe is hand held and just passed over your scrotum--it doesn't hurt at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is the gel cold and will I get an erection or ejaculate. im worried about exposing my genitals for them to be scanned.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No the gel is room temperature and you won't get an erection

It's very fast and you really shouldn't worry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is ejaculation possible

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, not at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you said i could have a prostate infection. will I need a scan for this

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No--just the urinalysis and the digital prostate exam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what type of prostate infection could it be

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I already told you--usually it's from an E coli infection
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have heard prostate problems occur in older men. I'm only 18

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That's an enlarged prostate--also known as benign prostatic hypertrophy--and not an infection and that's not your problem here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what will the doctor do to examine me

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I already told you--a finger in your rectum and you pee in a cup
He'll also feel your testicles and decide if you need the ultrasound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what will the treatment be and will i need follow up tests?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Antibioitics are all that will be needed and you won't need any follow up tests
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am also suffering from occasional pain in my penis after urination. Will this be investigated and how?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have also been suffering from occasional pain in the penis after urination. Will this be investigated and how??

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That's probably from the prostate infection and I've already told you how that is investigated and treated
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it common for young men to get prostate infections?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Fairly common, yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

even as young as 18?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Even then