Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

My accupuncterist has recommended that I try seeing an homeopathist

Customer Question

my accupuncterist has recommended that I try seeing an homeopathist for my 6yr old daughter.
She has never slept for the whole night always wakes up before entering the 2nd section in sleep pattern there are 3 altogether. It has an effect on all of us and now she is getting older I believe it is now affecting her moods.
Would this help or not?
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.
Greetings. Welcome to the site.I am sorry to learn about your daughter's problem and i believe i can help you with the use of my experience in sleep disorders.Kindly answer a few queries.What sort of investigations have you so far carried out on her, if at all ?Have you applied sleep hygiene on her ?Other than use of melatonin , has there bee use of any other medication. ?What sort of intervention has been used by her sleep therapist so far ?Does she say that she suffers from nightmares or night terrors ?I shall, get back to you once you reply to my queries. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all that has been said is that she will out grow it. It all started as a baby she never slept much in the day so I never got no rest and always woke about 11pm and still does its almost as if its a habit now! Was told to let her carry on as all options have failed. We tried certain foods that encourage sleep , no bright lights , allow an hour to wind down, night lights and no excitement but noithing makes any difference. Yes I have tried letting her scream but it only made her sick and hyper ventilate too frightening by half. I never had this with my other 3 older children.
Thanks for the inputs.It seems like your daughter has gotten herself adhered to a disrupted sleep - wake pattern in which there is poor maintenance phase of sleep as is evident from her mid night wake up spells. So I suggest that you get her to go through what is called as Polysomnography or sleep study which is a diagnostic tool that assesses brain waves, heart rate, breathing, eye and leg movements during sleep of the person and comes up with a diagnosis causing the sleep problem. While you get this test done in her , you may simultaneously start her on safe herbal or natural sleep aiding drugs such as valerian root exact capsule that is tk be taken as one capsule one hour before bedtime.In addition to this, apply some levander oil over her forehead and temples before she goes to bed and also add 5 drops of levander oil in her bathing water that she needs to use for bathing before sleep. You may also sprinkle few drops of levander oil on herpillow at night.Other than this, avoid giving her oil rich or fried foods in the evenings and also avoid colas and coffee at night or late evenings. Her sleeping clothes should be loose and we'll ventilated and she should avoid watching TV late at night or listening to music in the night as these two stimulate the brain.Kindly do as much as mentioned here for 1 month and then if this does not work then you may try homeopathic remedies. I hope this helps.Wish you all the best.Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** a regular night time regime and have tried the lavender in the past to no avail! The valerian may be the only option. She has loose clothing as she says she gets very hot at night so try to keep bedroom cool. Thanks will see how we get on and try and see about a sleep study.
Thanks for the inputs.Well, along with valerian, also add magnesium and calcium supplements since these two minerals are sleep boosters. Magnesium at a dose of 25-50 mg at night to start with and calcium 100 mg along with it shall be tried at first.So a combination of valerian and these two shall be tried in the late evenings / night and wait their response with patience as it may take a week or two to help her finding her sleep pattern. The dose of these minerals can be raised slightly after a week or so if no significant improvement is seen.I hope this works for her. You see there are many allopathic medications that can easily help her to sleep better but since she is very young to be using those, therefore i am trying to provide you herbal and natural alternatives so that she can tolerate and use them safely.Wish you and your daughter all the best.Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.Regards