Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm a 48 year old male who week has had a very slight

Customer Question

Hi I'm a 48 year old male who for a week has had a very slight burning or very dull pain on the tip of my penis. there is no pain when going to the toilet it is not tender to touch and it looks very normal. There is no discharge. what could this be ?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
With no discharge, it is less likely to be an infection, but it cannot be completely excluded as a possibility. It is more common that mild burning without a discharge would most likely be some inflammation, which most often occurs in response to a substance to which the penis has come in contact, either on clothing or even during sexual intercourse. This can be a type of allergy or other sensitivity.
Although it would require a proper evaluation to make a specific diagnosis, it would also be an option to use an over the counter medicine to see if it improves the symptoms. An over the counter antihistamine, such as Benadryl, would frequently be helpful.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thankyou. My only sexual encounter recently was a few weeks ago and only oral so I was after an opinion. I guess if in doubt get checked out ?
Yes, if the problem persists, then it would be appropriate to be checked, but if the antihistamine is helpful, then no further evaluation or treatment is necessary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. just for the future is oral sex reasonably safe or should I always wear pritection ?
It would depend upon what level of risk you are willing to accept. It is extremely low risk for transmission of most STDs. The estimated average risk for transmission of HIV is 0.005% if the partner is HIV positive, although the overall risk of HIV would also need to be lowered according to the prevalence of HIV in your community.
Authorities routinely recommend the consistent use of protection with all forms of sexual intercourse outside of a mutually monogamous relationship, based on the philosophy of minimizing the risk, but if you are willing to accept the above risk, then you may make a personal decision that is different than the recommendation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.